Sports, Satire and Bad Jokes
Monday August 22nd 2011

Last Call

Last Call is kind of like Blogkakke, only on PCP, LSD and ludes. Fucking ludes man. Instead of just being a random link dump, it’s a place to congregate with fellow like minded sports fans, alcoholics and amateur comedians. So come on in, kick your shoes off and crack a beer; then regale us with a witty joke, bitch about that local sports team or ask gimp about his love of fine ficus’. If you have something you’d like to see here, our contact info is over on the right and there’s always the tip line, tips @ thegallyblog.com

Musical Interlude:

You’ll likely be hearing this song a lot this summer. You’ve been warned.

Linkage:

Hip Hop Wired: This is much sadder than the headline would imply, but a young British woman masturbated to death.
The Big Lead: Well there’s one way to stay relevant. Trash one of your fellow bloggers in a web post. Geoff Decker of TBL trashed Robert Littal of Black Sports Online, calling him the BET of sports blogs.
Rolling Stone: Matt Taibbi is starting to make a name for himself over at RS. This post, “The Five Funniest Things About the ‘LeBron James: Global Superdouche’ Broadcast,” is fantastic.
NJ.com: De-constructing NJ Nets owner Mikhail Prokorhov.
Deadspin: If you’ve ever thought yourself a poor writer lacking a grasp of the English language, well you very well could be right. Having said that, this guy makes you look like Chaucer in comparison.
Gagging Towards Bethlehem: Rachael has started a Kickstarter project in order to raise money for a project she’s working on. It’s a pretty cool foodie related project, so check it out.
Daddys Sugar Ball: The live blog of the HR Derby done by SBNation has gotten a lot of good responses and love. This one done by DSB was also pretty damn good.
Uproxx: Eight inexpensive things re-purposed for something awesome. They might not all be awesome, but they are interesting.
Warming Glow: So, Jon Bois apparently shares my opinion on Mad Men. It’s a good show and stylistically it does a fantastic job, but it’s not THAT great.
WWTDD: Whoopi Goldberg thinks that Mel Gibson is being a stupid dick right now, but isn’t actually a racist. He’s been in her house before with her kids after all.

Cheesecake for the fellows:

You guys asked for her, and I aim to please.

Cheesecake for the ladies:

Matt Bomer RAWWWRRR!!!

Bonus Video:

You will also hear this song a lot in the coming months….

Popularity: 2% [?]

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Related posts:

1. Last Call: The Tardy Tard Edition
  2. Last Call: The Fuck You Edition
  3. Last Call
Previous Topic:

51 Comments for “Last Call”

• gally says:

What’s up bitches?

• Sculptor?!? says:

Jeezuz, what a long day. Whuf.

• Martin says:

Running to the Courthouse to get something in that’s due tomorrow. Damn tickets….grrrr.

• Martin says:

wohoo took care of it online…sort of! Yeah, the hot weather and lack of sports is driving folk to the cool of their basements….wait…

• gally says:

I don’t quite get the Gawker empire right now. Yeah, I know some of the articles have crossover, but there’s so many articles that you click on now that take you to another site.

• Martin says:

Are they fibbing on clicks as page views to advertisers you think? Fudging the interest?

• gally says:

Usually it’s the kind of link that would be of interest to both pages, but it seems to be a pretty recent innovation, and kind of blatent.

I don’t think they are fibbing, but trying to increase certain sites page views. I do think that it should be more obvious that it’s essentially a sponsored link though.

• Sculptor?!? says:

I’m wondering about that myself. I mean, at least they’re not taking credit for someone else’s work, but why bother, really?

• gally says:

For the most part they’re posts that someone would already see anyways. For example, I frequent Gizmodo and Kotaku, so I’d see the article anyways. Having said that, I think it’s weird that Gizmodo would write up the video game article and it would show up on Kotaku as if one of their writers had written it but instead links to Giz.

The most bizarre one though would be Deadspin posting this article about 48% of women apparently prefering to have sex with their bra on, which ,in hindsight, obviously directed me to Jezebel. I have no problem with the fact that I was directed to Jezebel, but I prefer to know that I’m being sent somewhere else, especially a site that I’d not normally read.
          /rant over
          //it actually was a good/interesting article

• gally says:

Warning, clicking this link and listening to this song may lead to you losing hours. http://www.iamdonald.com/post/808262963/got-this-money-childish-gambino-dance-remix

• Martin says:

So, I enjoy White Collar…but this Covert Affairs. It looks like someone gaining valuable insight from Chuck and In Plain Sight, and made a baby. (Gally said “steal” is bad, “gain valuable insight” is good) I’m just not sure about it at all. I have as hard a time believing Piper as a crack CIA agent as I do Zachery Levi…and his show is spoofyrific.

On the other hand, I really like Chris Gorham and Peter Gallagher, and I have a positive attraction to Anne Dudek…who I want to make a naughty librarian. It might end up being a show where I like the side characters more then the main stars….a la Will and Grace.

• gally says:

While I can see where you’re coming from, I think that it’ll be different enough to succeed. It’s more about her being smart and talented than quirkily having a computer in her head. I could be wrong though, but am giving USA the benefit of the doubt. I’ll probably write up some thoughts on the show tomorrow.

• Sculptor?!? says:

We’re gonna give it a try. I’m not sold on Memphis Beat yet (it’s somewhat formulaic), so what the hell. Might get lucky.

• gally says:

Have you watched Memphis Beat yet? Did you see what I wrote about it for the On Deck post?

• Martin says:

Yes to both….and I was as disappointed in it as I was happily surprised at Justified. I had high hopes for it, and they were shot down by intense AA.

• gally says:

Though, then again, I hate to be like Fox and not give things a chance. It’s crap like that that means Firefly isn’t still on TV as the worlds highest rated TV show, pulling in 78 million viewers a week.

• Sculptor?!? says:

Yeah. I more or less agree with you. Barring anything better, I’ll continue to watch though. Which is why I’m giving the USA show a chance.

• Old King Clancy says:

That’s a veritable All-Star Game of cheesecake on both sides.

• Old King Clancy says:

For those who would like to engage in consensual sexual activity with one Alison Brie, she’s on an ep of The Nerdist podcast (hosted by, of all people, Chris Hardwick, former host of Singled Out and also bluegrass Radiohead parodist). Her natural speaking voice is … well, it works. And the interview will not change your mind. Free on ITunes.

• WSR says:

If somebody wants to help me out and hit me with a car, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Martin says:

Holy Shit! I jsut read the Firefly thing and …..it was FAAAAAAN-tastic!

• gally says:

Boosh. For a 10 day period at the end of the month, I have a temp job. So I’ll get at least 60 hours of employment this month…

• Old King Clancy says:

Rock. Send some of that karma over here. I haven’t heard back from a job that was supposed to call me yesterday with their decision. My guess is that I’m their 2nd choice and their 1st choice is deliberating. Let’s hit that dude or lady with a car! Or maybe they’re just dicks. ALWAYS a possibility in these cases.

• Old King Clancy says:

Young George Steinbrenner looks just like Jimmy Johnson (the football coach). Also, I don’t care if a man’s dead. I can’t take all the Yankee love today.

• Sculptor?!? says:

okay, so far, not impressed. completely unnecessary flashbacks. thpppt.

• semper_ubi_sub_ubi says:

Just heard that George Steinbrenner died.

Fuck the Yankees!!! COCK!!!

• Sculptor?!? says:

reiterating: those shoes are HOT.

• Old King Clancy says:

I know I’ve mentioned this before, and I don’t care if it makes me a teenage girl, but I’m enjoying the hell out of Pretty Little Liars on ABC Family. Maybe I just miss Privileged.

• Old King Clancy says:

OK, I’ll be the contrarian. I like the MLB All-Star Game. It’s the only ASG with defense. Also, Phil Hughes is now on the hook for the L. Fuck the Yankees! Cock!

• Sculptor?!? says:

Okay. My thoughts? The show in general has merit, but I can sure as hell do without these totally corny flashbacks. I also do without the subtext that she’s incompetent and they’re using her as bait to lure the boyfriend out into the open – why not write it the other way?

• Sculptor?!? says:

Okay, time for this old broad to hit the hay. Later taters.